Match the sentences to the verbs:
- When he got to the cinema the film had started
- While I was shopping I met an old friend
- She waited for ten minutes and telephoned again
- The student was listening to every word the teacher said
- When I got to the cinema the film started
a. Past Perfect b. Past Continuos c. Past Simple
We use the Past Simple to talk about past actions: we use the Past Continuous to talk about something around a past time or action; we use the Past Perfect for things that happened before another past situation.